Creating an arbitrary number of windows

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

cborders

Creating an arbitrary number of windows

Postby cborders » Mon Jul 10, 2006 19:50

Forgive me if this have been asked before I searched and couldn't find an answer.

I want to accomplish the same thing and in the GUI Demo That comes with Ogre where you can select the components and have them instantiated, but I want to do that with more complex componants like this:
The trouble I am having is that when I create the .layout file it loads automatically at startup, which I could turn off by setting it invisible, but there also seems to be only 1 and I want to be able to instantiate an arbitrary number.

Rackle
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Rackle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 20:46

The problem is that each time to load a .layout file you attempt to recreate windows with the same name; each window name must be unique.

Here's some imaginary code (it will NOT compile):

Code: Select all

CEGUI::Window* cloneLayoutContents(const CEGUI::String& layoutFile, const CEGUI::uint& id = 0)
  {
    /* Clones the window hierarchy contained within a .layout file
     * Format specifiers:
     *    0 forced digit: will be replaced by a digit or if here is no digit, by a zero
     *    # potential digit: will be replaced by a digit if there is one otherwise nothing
     *    ' literal character: the following character is to be treated as a character
     *    rather than a format specifier
     * The following hierarchy is assumed:
     * ParentName000/
     *  child1Name
     *    subChild01Name
     *    subChild02Name
     *  child2Name
     * After this function is called the following hierarchy will be present:
     * ParentName001/
     *  ParentName001/child1Name
     *    ParentName001/subChild01Name
     *    ParentName001/subChild02Name
     *  ParentName001/child2Name
     */

using namespace CEGUI;
    String namePrefix;
    Window* clone = readLayout(layoutFile);
    String mask = clone->getName(); // The top-level window contains the mask for the lower level windows

uint newID = id;
    while(true)
    {
      if(!ICU::formatText(String(newID), mask, "0", namePrefix))
        return 0; // Error formatting the window prefix
      if(!existsWindow(namePrefix))
        break;
      ++newID;
    }

clone->setName(windowPrefix);
    renameClonedWindows(clone, windowPrefix);
    return clone;
  }

void renameClonedWindows(const CEGUI::Window* parent, const CEGUI::String& namePrefix)
  {
    // Rename each child window by prefixing it with the top parent's name using namespace CEGUI;
    for(Window* child = parent->getFirstChild(), child, child = parent->getNextChild())
    {
      child->setName(namePrefix + child->getName());
      renameClonedWidgets(child, namePrefix);
    }
  }

ICU::formatText is coming from the Wiki entry called Formatted Numbers/Text.

My idea/concept is that the layout defines window names with zeros (000). The cloneLayoutContents() function loads the .layout file, creates all the 000 windows and subwindows, and then renames/increments them to 001. If you call this function a second time it would recreate the 000 version and then increment it to 002.

If you do go along and code this imaginary function please Wiki it.

Pompei2
Home away from home
Home away from home

Postby Pompei2 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 16:40

Hello, now i ran into the situation where i need to create multiple windows out of one layout file. I remembered this post, but i see that the function CEGUI::Window::setName(..) doesn't seem to exist anymore, so how do i change the name of a widget now ?

EDIT:
hehe today is my finding day or what :) i found it by a lucky hazard it's the
WindowManager::renameWindow function.

Return to “Help”