DirectX DLL Version Problem

For help with general CEGUI usage:
- Questions about the usage of CEGUI and its features, if not explained in the documentation.
- Problems with the CMAKE configuration or problems occuring during the build process/compilation.
- Errors or unexpected behaviour.

Moderators: CEGUI MVP, CEGUI Team

Duck
Just popping in
Just popping in

DirectX DLL Version Problem

Postby Duck » Sun Apr 30, 2006 17:40

The "CEGUI_Samples" compile, but when I try and run, I get:

"This application has failed to start because d3dx9d_27.dll was not found..."

From an Ogre thread (http://www.cegui.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1479) I found that different versions of DX can be downloaded from Microsoft, or a less official source (which still claims to be legit).

The version of the redistributable the sample needs is from August 2005.

I tried the Microsoft redistributable install, but it fails (due to "genuine windows advantage" having issues with my machine) and the less official source install also doesn't seem to fix matters. I also tried just copying the d3dx9d_27.dll file into my windows\system directory (from the unofficial source), but that didn't work.

My aim is to get the sample apps to run. Any thoughts?

(PS. I'm using the April '06 SDK, which uses an '_30' dll)

Rackle
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby Rackle » Sun Apr 30, 2006 18:19

I do not have a solution to your problem but a workaround, to get the samples working, would be to use OpenGL instead of DirectX.

CrustyDOD
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby CrustyDOD » Tue May 02, 2006 18:06

I'm having the same problem. Using same April SDK and installing the missing dll file didn't fix it..

Install it from this package: http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/d3dx_dlls.html

Any solutions to this problem? Will recompiling CEGUI source help in anyway?

lindquist
CEGUI Team (Retired)

Postby lindquist » Tue May 02, 2006 18:41

Recompiling and linking against the direct x sdk you have should definitely help.

CrustyDOD
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby CrustyDOD » Tue May 02, 2006 20:39

lindquist wrote:Recompiling and linking against the direct x sdk you have should definitely help.

Yeah, how to do that is the question! Downloading source code is no problem, problem is to compile it.. What do i need?

Isn't there any other way to fix this? This is something that every developer will get with new SDK or older.. It's strange that it doesn't find that library even tho its installed, i even putted it into some CEGUI folders and nothing..

CrustyDOD
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby CrustyDOD » Tue May 02, 2006 21:06

Actually the problem is somewhere else :lol:

The message says that 'd3dx9d_27.dll' is missing.. I installed 'd3dx9_27.dll'..

Was searching for this dll all over Google and didn't find it.. Can someone upload it somewhere or send it to my email please?

Turtle
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Postby Turtle » Wed May 03, 2006 01:07

Hi CrustyDOD,

I found this ftp location yesterday when I was looking for another file:

ftp://24.19.244.21/Temp/DirectX 9 SDK/Developer Runtime/x86/

I don't know who the site belongs to mind you. I found it doing an FTP search.

For whatever reason (maybe the spaces) I had to use FileZilla to download the files.

Cheers.

CrustyDOD
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby CrustyDOD » Wed May 03, 2006 07:25

Thanks Turtle!
It's working now.. I do see problems distributing some application using CEGUI cause of this dll stuff and microsoft not allowing distribute only 1 dll file. We'll get into that once we come to that problem :D

Duck
Just popping in
Just popping in

Postby Duck » Thu May 04, 2006 04:55

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Downloading the source and compiling myself fixed it. Now it uses my version.

As Crusty said, distributing our exe's would cause the problem to happen for people trying to run them. The following thread has info on a reduced size DX installer which is meant to do the trick. Though I've not looked into it much:

From an Ogre thread (http://www.cegui.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1479) I found that different versions of DX can be downloaded from Microsoft, or a less official source (which still claims to be legit).

(I think I've just reached the end of several painful weeks of profanity from upgrading compiler, DirectX, Ogre and CEGUI and trying to get it all to work. My main lessons were to build everything from source, write notes on where all the include and lib directories are, disable (by renaming) any directories you don't want to accidentally pull from, and take frequent breaks.) :D

Return to “Help”